I’m always looking for DIY versions of common store-bought staples. The homemade version almost always tastes better and I like having control over all the ingredients. Plus, I feel all empowered and give myself a few Gourmet Supermom points whenever I switch over to a homemade version of a kitchen staple.
When I saw this recipe on Pinterest a few months ago, I knew it was only a matter of time before I tried it. Big Man really enjoys chocolate milk and I like making homemade mocha lattes so we go through a lot of chocolate syrup. I was really excited to find a recipe for homemade chocolate syrup that only used 5 ingredients and a couple simple cooking steps. What could be better?
I’m so glad I made this! The syrup is rich and chocolate-y with the same pour-able consistency of the bottled stuff. We will never go back to store-bought syrup again! I modified the recipe because Big Man and I prefer dark chocolate over the standard milk chocolate, and simmered it longer because of the high altitude here. Overall, this DIY was a complete win, and I’m glad I get to share it with you.
Homemade Dark Chocolate Syrup (adapted from One Good Thing by Jillee, original source Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook 1968)
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened “dark” cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
1 cup water
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract (Bonus DIY points for using homemade vanilla!)
In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt until combined. Stir in the water and heat over medium heat until boiling, stirring occasionally. (Don’t look away for too long, it can boil-over quickly).
Reduce heat and simmer for 4 minutes (high altitude), until slightly thickened. (If you are not at high altitude, simmer for 1-2 minutes).Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. The syrup will thicken further as it cools.
Read Full Post »
Posted in hearth, homekeeping, sample saturday, tagged baking, blog, books, budget, cartoon, chocolate, christian, cooking, diy, drink, food, geek, help meet, homemade, humor, kids, marriage, minivan, nemo, parenting, pixar movies, prayer, reading, sahm, summer on September 23, 2012 |
1 Comment »
Good Morning! Here’s this week’s post roundup.
Kisses and Kiddos
Why I Don’t Use the Words “Help Meet” - A “rant” from The Generous Wife on the common “Christian misapplications” of a woman’s role.
Budget is The New Black - This post from The Meat and Potatoes of Life talks about style, minivans, budgeting, and SUVs with a great sense of humor and honesty.
Measuring Marriage Maturity - A short-and-sweet post from The Romantic Vineyard with a very interesting perspective on marriage maturity.
Should You Limit your Child’s Reading Choices? - A thought-provoking post and a whole comment section full of good discussion from Carrots for Michaelmas.
Fried Guacamole - There really are no words for the awesomeness that is this Joy the Baker recipe.
Apple Crisp Pizza – This dessert pizza from The Girl Who Ate Everything looks like a perfect fall treat.
Tilapia with Browned Butter and Lemon Sauce – A light and fresh seafood dish from Add a Pinch.
How to Make Puff Pastry - Yet another kitchen staple I can now DIY instead of purchase, thanks to Annie’s Eats!
Just for Fun and Giggles
What Would you Spray Paint on this Dumpster? - Classic Stuff Christians Like. The post is funny (seriously, what kind of church does this?), and then there’s even more humor in the comments. Enjoy!
And, you’ll never think of it that same way again. . .
from *Very Clean* Funny Pics
Enjoy your weekend!
Read Full Post »
Posted in hearth, homekeeping, tagged bible, christian, dad, firefly, geek, hobbit, husband, kids, marriage, mom, parenting, talk like a pirate, tolkien, whedon, wife on September 20, 2012 |
Leave a Comment »
I’m still recovering and getting back into the homekeeping routine, but I definitely have things to be thankful for this week!
1. All the help and support Big Man and I have received from our family during recovery. We are so thankful and the Little Ones are loving all the extra time with the grandparents.
2. This recovery time has given me many reminders of what a wonderful husband I have. Big Man has been taking care of everything with the house, the kids, and me and he is such a blessing.
3. I’ve started attending a local Bible Study and so far I am really enjoying the study and my small group. Little Man and Little Lady also get to attend and while it has been difficult for me to get used to leaving them with other kids and non-related adults, it is a good experience for all of us.
4. Since Little Lady has decided the best way to play in a sandbox includes covering herself with as much sand as possible, I’m very thankful for our washing machine and easy-care kids clothes.
5. This week includes the new trailer for The Hobbit, the 10th anniversary of the premier of Firefly, International Talk Like a Pirate Day, and Hobbit Day. Total geekery FTW!
Hope y’all are having a great Friday! See you tomorrow for Sample Saturday.
Read Full Post »