More things that we can check off the list:
- Waterproof the foundation. We painted this black, tarry sludge on the outside of all the foundation walls. It was satisfying because we could see the change right away but having to scrub off the bits of tar that got on our skin was not fun at all.
- Build the main plumbing system that sits below the foundation slab. We decided to pay the professionals to do this because it is such an exact science and we definitely didn’t want the risk of pulling up the slab later to fix it.
- Build a French drain system around the foundation. Big Man did this himself (he’s amazing).
- Lay the utility lines in the trench from the road to the foundation. Our excavator dug the trench and Big Man laid in all the (heavy!) things himself: copper water line, electrical line, and phone line. We are waiting on one final inspector to check things off, then the trench can be filled in again.
- Excavator backfilled the dirt around the foundation.
Next things on the list
- Leach field has a rock in the middle which needs to be blasted. Hopefully that will happen in the next week or so.
- Electrical inspector signs off and the utility trench is filled in.
- Gravel is poured and leveled in the foundation area, then the slab is poured.
- The logs are delivered (hopefully it goes better than the last attempt), along with windows and doors.
- Framing begins.
Progress is still a little slower than we would like, but at least we are moving forward. We’re really excited to start framing and really see the house take shape. Thanks again for following along with our adventure!