The house is looking more and more finished. A lot of stuff has been completed since my last update. Big Man has been working on the house practically every minute he isn’t at his real job, and we’ve had tons of help from our parents and extended family. Here’s the list:
- Roofing is finally finished! It’s amazing how much difference in appearance it makes having the shingles instead of just the tar paper.
- Siding is done. We’re so happy with how it turned out!
- Propane tank is installed. This was a big project as Big Man had to dig a trench for the line to the house. And by “dig” I mean “jackhammer through six inches of solid rock the entire length of the 25 foot trench.”
- HVAC ductwork is all installed, and the furnace should arrive next week.
- Lots of landscaping! One of the challenges of building on a hillside is the need for serious water mitigation so all the dirt around out house doesn’t just slide downhill every time it rains. That means we are building patios on the uphill and downhill sides of the house, and a big retaining wall above the leach field area. Building these patios involves hauling and unloading truckloads and truckloads of gravel, railroad ties, flagstone, and yet more gravel. We haven’t finished everything yet, but thanks to all the help we had on our weekend work day recently, the retaining wall is done and the patios are about halfway there.
Here are some pictures.
Thanks for following along with us!